(9) Hulme Hall Area

The oldest buildings in this area are Hulme Hall and the cottages and old market square around Higham Street.

Old Cottages off Higham Street

Hulme Hall Road from Cheadle separated these buildings from the Horse and Jockey Inn on which site the Hesketh Arms Hotel was built by the then Lord of the manor (William Bamford Hesketh) in the late 1860s. The area changed dramatically in 1842 when it was bisected by the new railway line and the old station (then called Cheadle) opened behind Hulme Hall. The station soon moved to its present site when the second  line to Macclesfield opened in 1845.

Hesketh Inn (1890s)
Hesketh Arms Hotel, Hulme Hall Road (1895) (S^).

Hesketh Tavern (1990s)
Hesketh Tavern and Car Park1999 (S^)

Hulme Hall Road looking North under the railway bridge
Hesketh Railway Bridge 1999 (N^)

Hulme Hall Road / Swann Lane junction in front of Hesket Tavern (1999)

Hulme Hall Road looking NorthHulme Hall Road in 1910

Higham Street and Old cottages, and a glimpse of the old Fire Station on the right (1999)

Hulme Hall (1999)

Hulme Hall (1999)

Hulme Hall 1892


Hulme Hall 1892 (Heginbotham). Probably built around 1419, for the Vernons. Occupied by the Moseleys, restored and extended in 1867, and now a nursing home.

Further Details see Hulme Hall




Hulme Hall 1904Hulme Hall in 1904

Original Cheadle Hulme Sattion (white building), with the Hesketh across to the right (1999).