(11) Shopping Centre

The main street (Station Road) lost its open spaces in the 1960s as the shopping precinct was developed, the trees disappeared and the road widened.


Below: Place cursor over pictures for captions.

Cheadle Hulme centre from the air (Garratt)
Aerial View (1926) (N^) showing railway lines, footbridge, Station Road and the empty fields and farms.
Taken from Garratt (1999) with permission Sigma Press

Station Road looking towards the station, showing the newly built Kings Hall.

Kings Hall

Station Road - Pimlotts
Station Road in the 1920, note Pimlotts butchers. (N^).

During the 1960s local people, including schoolchildren, campaigned, petitioned, and wrote to newspapers to deter the wrecking of the village atmosphere and to preserve the tres - but to no avail. Also see Poem

Cheadle Hulme high street shops (1999)

Station Road Shops (1999) (N^) The ex-cinema in the centre is now a shopping arcade for furniture and clothing.

Cheadel Hulme high street shops from the station platform (1999)

Kings Hall (now Wetherspoon's Pub) and Shopping precinct (early 1999).

Shopping Precinct and car park (and traffic!) - early 1999

Cheadle Hulme Shopping Precinct - rear aspect
Cheadle Hulme Shopping precinct rear aspect showing the Wetherspoons pub garden (centre left) and below, the rear of the old cinema now a shopping mall occupied mainly by Bryant's furniture shop which is currently being extended (2000).
Old Cheadle Hulme Cinema - Bryant's Shopping Mall
The precinct is now being covered and modernised.