|(2b) Mellor Road
Originally a continuation of the main Market Street but somewhat cut-off and enclosed by the railway lines since the 1840s, Mellor Road was established about 1900.
It was and still is an important provider of amenities (bakers, green-grocers, bank, post-office, library, club, theatre, nursery, restaurant, furniture shop, newsagent, hairdressers).
Mellor Road / Station Road Junction, Cheadle Hulme (above 1930s, below 1994). (W^)
Below, an earlier view (1905) looking towards the Station. Note the footbridge across Station Road (E^)
Mellor Road shops (Waterhouses greengrocers) and the interesting architecture of the former bank in 1999. (W^).
Below - Mellor Road Post Office, Library, CHADS Theatre.